Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipe Roundup

Lately it seems like Blair and I have been eating the same d$@#n thing for dinner every night.  Over the past week, I have been trying to change things up a bit, while still maintaining our healthy weeknight requirements.  We have plenty of vices, but we try to save them for the weekends.

We had a few big hits in the Hoyt household, so I thought I would share the recipes along with the tweaks I made to them.

1.  Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili from "With Style and Grace"
This was a huge hit!  I loved that it was hearty and healthy with tons of flavor.  I changed this recipe only slightly by using 2 15oz cans of black beans instead of re-hydrating dried beans.  I also added 1T of paprika to the mix because I love a smokiness in chili.  This made a hearty 6 servings, which meant we had plenty of leftovers for the freezer.
Picture from http://withstyle.me


2.  Salmon with Couscous from "What's Gaby Cooking"
The salmon in this recipe came out perfect!  I did reduce the cooking time by 8 minutes because I used a convection oven.  I substituted whole wheat Israeli couscous for the plan to add a little extra fiber.  I also used only half the feta called for, and used a reduced fat version.  It added tons of flavor, and I didn't miss the other half.  We had enough couscous left over to serve as a side dish for a later dinner.
www.whatsgabycooking.com

3. Daphne Oz's Pistachio Crusted Fish with Roasted Tomatoes and Basil
I have tried this recipe with both halibut, per the recipe, and tilapia and both fish work equally well.  This week we used tilapia, because that's what I had on hand.  It is so fresh, and delicious!  I served the leftover couscous as a side- love getting multiple uses out of one recipe!
www.abc.com
All of these recipes made for healthy, easy weeknight dinners.  These will all be added to the dinner rotation in our home.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. good picks! and healthy too :) will make them this week :)

    ReplyDelete