Sunday, November 6, 2011

Fort Knox

As long as I can remember I have had a crippling fear of someone breaking into my home.  This fear lead to the "truth about Santa" conversation at age 3 because I straight up lost my mind when my dad explained that Santa "had to come through the front door because we don't have a chimney."  Surprise!  I was a neurotic child.

At approximately 4:00 this morning, the sound of the security alarm startled us both from our sleep.  Blair jumped out of bed, to shut and lock the bedroom doors.  I immediately got dressed because I wasn't about to let some bad guy steal my stuff and get a peep show- apparently I become a diva when in terrifying situations.

Fortunately, to my surprise, I didn't panic, and I didn't die of terror. ADT called to check on us and identify the  door that had been opened.  Blair was on the phone with 911, and the police were dispatched.  Blair said he would go check it out, but I threatened him with death if he went down there...the risk of facing a potential burglar combined with the certain death from his crazed wife proved to be a risk not worth taking.

The police officer knocked on the door.  Blair answered and I did a happy dance as he was quite possibly the largest man I have ever met.  Clear LoCo sent the right man for the job.  He checked our house and yard and made sure were safe before leaving.  There were no signs of forced entry.

This morning, B and I went to Home Depot, and our house is now sealed tighter than Fort Knox.
Handy Blair installing new locks on all of the doors. 

We both want to extend our deep gratitude to the 911 dispatcher, the ADT monitoring center and the police officers who bravely checked out the situation.

Hopefully it was a false alarm, but regardless we are eternally thankful for those who offer much needed help in scary and dangerous situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment