Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Final Showdown

After successfully passing the blood test, and the skin prick test, I thought I was well on my way to being deemed "not allergic to shellfish."  Today was the last test, the final showdown, it was the "challenge."  I had to bring shrimp into my doctors office and eat it in front of her in slowly increasing quantities while she and a nurse checked in on me every ten minutes for an hour.

My mom was wonderful (as always) and had cooked the same type of shrimp I reacted to and had it ready for me to pick up on my way to work.  My dad called her and told her to wash it really really good first, and maybe I wouldn't react :)

So, I pass through the test with flying colors, and my doctor explains that sometimes people only react to shellfish that isn't totally fresh because there is a higher amount of some chemical that gets released.  This was likely the case with me and my previous reactions, given that I had reacted to frozen shrimp.  She welcomed me back to the shellfish eating world, and I was on my way. 

Circa 30 minutes later I am shopping in Pottery Barn, and I start to feel itchy.  I head over to South Moon Under, duck into a dressing room, and see...yep, my transformation into "Hitch" is underway. Awesome. I call the doctor on her cell, and she tells me to head back to the office and her nurse would be waiting for me.  I then explain to the doctor, that this really doesn't mean I'm allergic to shellfish.  It could be that chemical like she said before.  Yes, I'm trying to rationalize my allergies away with an allergist...please reference my father's suggestion to wash the fish...I think this trait is hereditary.  She's not buying it.

So I call Blair on his cell to tell him to cancel next week's date for Red Lobster and that he might need to pick me up. 

Arrive at the doctors office where I am given 5 steroid pills and an anti-histamine.  I text Blair and tell him never mind, I will just carry the Mazda home. 

I have had this particular steroid before.  Not only does it make me certifiable crazy, it also makes me think I am completely hilarious.  Blair should have fun over the next few days!

So it's an epi pen and a no-shellfish policy for me. 

I may have won the battle, but shellfish won the war. 

1 comment: