Sunday, April 17, 2011

What a Difference a Day Makes

April 17th is a day that has particularly special meaning to me.  It is my wonderful mother's birthday.  It is also the day that I met Blair for the first time.  It was my mom's 50th birthday, and I wanted to take her out to a special dinner, or have a celebratory glass of wine with her.  She politely declined my offers.  She knew that my dear friend Allison (or "my Allison" as my mom calls her) had a guy she wanted me to meet.  She also knew that I was planning on skipping a happy hour where I would meet this guy to celebrate her birthday with her.  My mom would have no parts of this, so he pretended that she didn't feel up to celebrating.  This is one of millions of selfless acts my mom has done for me over the course of my life. 

I traded my night out with my mom for a quick birthday hug and kiss, and off I went to meet up with Allison and Krista at happy hour.  A few minutes later, in walked a very tired, stressed, but incredibly sweet Blair Hoyt. 

I write this post as Mrs. Blair Hoyt, so incredibly thankful for the insight of Allison and Krista, the kindness of my mother, and the overwhelming blessing that is my marriage to Blair. 

Ironically, today is also the birthday of Mr. Illia,who spoke at our wedding. 

What a difference a day makes! 

Happy Birthday Mom, Mr. Illia, Blair's Uncle Bill, and Aunt Grace---how's that for a family lineup!




1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Your mom is incredible (and you'll be an incredible mom one day, too) - so happy she declined the birthday dinner so you could meet your Blair! love!

    ReplyDelete