Monday, May 14, 2012

That Looks Like Two...

We had our first sonogram on Good Friday. I was so incredibly nervous walking in, and I couldn’t wait to hear our little monkey’s heart beating away in there.  I knew I just needed to hear it and then my mind would be put at ease that we had made it through the biggest hump of pregnancy.  Blair and I had an afternoon date planned which was to start out with a relaxing lunch and finish with a stroll around Middleburg, and maybe a later afternoon golf session.
We walked into our appointment and the doctor and nurse immediately put our minds at ease.  They were both wonderful, and I knew instantly that they were the right fit for us.  The nurse took the first few tests: weight, blood pressure, etc.  Then the doctor came in, asked us a few questions and proceeded with the start of the examination. 

The ultrasound was underway and it took a few heart-stopping minutes for him to find the right spot.  Meanwhile he continued to chat about the dos and don’ts of pregnancy.  Or at least I think he was; I was too focused on the monitor.  Then he said “Ok, here we go!”, and he flipped on a switch- and there was our baby: a nice little circle with a pretty blob right in the center.  And right next to our baby was our other baby.

Me: “Uhhh, that’s looks like two?”

Doctor: “Unless I’m seeing double, you are right.” 

Blair: Dead silent, stands up and places palm on forehead.  The color vanished from his face as he stared blankly into the screen. 

I started laughing and shaking and grabbed Blair’s hand because I thought he might faint.  My doctor then checked the heart beats of both babies, and thankfully both were beating strong.  He went on to say “We have a lot to talk about, but we will save that for another appointment.  I have been doing this long enough to know that you won’t remember a word I say from here on out.”  He was right. 

My great grandmother went to her grave asking when the twins were coming.  Omie now asks all the time when the babies are coming.  Remind me to ask Omie for her lotto picks.

About that relaxing lunch date we had planned…we did go to lunch, but we were so distracted, that we drove 20 minutes out of our way.  It was delicious, but we both stared blankly at each other and our plates.  Our heads were spinning.  I just kept laughing and Blair kept talking about how broke we are. 
Blair and I at a wine bar after lunch.  I figured he could use a drink.

The past few days were a whirlwind and an emotional rollercoaster.  We are nervous about caring for two babies, unsure what this will do to our careers and our financial situation, and overall thrilled that we are going to be a family of four.  I have laughed, I have woken up in a panic, I have cried out of fear, but now I am just focusing on growing two strong babies…which means I get to eat and sleep a lot more.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I can only imagine what a surprise that must of been! Blair's reaction was too funny and I'm sure Kyle would have done the exact same thing!

    Hope you are feeling well - We can't wait to meet the two little babies!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you wrote your blogposts - it's great to follow your journey - especially for those of us who know that "palms to the forehead" so well - looking forward to all those G'Ma moments -

    ReplyDelete