Sunday, August 28, 2011

Earthquakes, Hurricanes, and the Hangovers that Bind Us

My, my, my what a week! An earthquake and a hurricane!  Because we were fortunate enough not to have damage from the earthquake and we were fairly certain we would be safe through the hurricane, we used these events as excuses for themed meals, Dairy Queen trips, and lots of drinks. 

My mom has long wanted to get her father's side of the family together for a mini reunion.  This weekend was the big event!  She did all of the cooking, but she was kind enough to let me name all of the dishes with earthquake and hurricane themed names...her brilliant idea + my snarky sense of humor = awesome (at least in my opinion).  Tectonic taters anyone?  Storm Surge Shrimp?  How about Might Cause "An Aftershock" Beans (waka waka waka).  Of course my Dad's hurricane cocktails made all of this much funnier. 

Afterwords it was off to celebrate the 30th birthday of a good friend and then home to find our neighbors celebrating a hurricane and their 12th wedding anniversary with copious amounts of wine.  They invited us to join them, which we did with great enthusiasm.  This lead to a morning which gave a whole new meaning to "in the wake of the storm"...sigh.

In between all of this I worked on a gallery wall I have planned for our family room.  I had so much fun going through old family photos from both Blair's past and mine.  What great memories!  I hope you all stayed safe, and used this week as a reminder that this world, science, nature and God are all much bigger than we are.  Enjoy life and keep it all in perspective.  Here are two of the pics from our new gallery wall! Pics of the finished product to come!



2 comments:

  1. that picture is priceless! love the hats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your creative recipe names! What a hoot. By the way I wrote the book "Hurricanes and Hangovers". LOL!

    ReplyDelete